Cleats stomping the football field. A cozy gray sweatshirt and my favorite worn-in pair of jeans. Crisp fall air that seeps in through the open window and finds me wrapped in a warm blanket. The sweet smell of a cinnamon, apple or pumpkin confection rising in the oven. The perfect snack of ginger snaps washed down with a tall glass of apple cider.
I love everything about fall. I romanticize each glorious trait and hold on with firm grasp to each passing day because they seem to come and go so quickly. It’s been over 10 years since I’ve gone “back to school,” but to me, September brings a kind of new beginning full of so many gorgeous (and scrumptious) treasures that I can’t get enough. When picking out baby names, we even agreed on the name Autumn if we’d had a baby girl because I simply couldn’t think of anything more beautiful.
So today, the first day of fall, I celebrate the season to come with a wish list of activities that will turn you into a fall fanatic too!
- Have a cozy movie night by the fireplace – with blankets and popcorn!
- Tailgate at a sporting event.
- Visit a local zoo on a brisk and sunny fall day.
- Go apple picking.
- Make candy apples. Mine will be of the s’mores variety!
- Get some friends together for tag football.
- Take a hayride to a pumpkin patch.
- Put a “fall” twist on your favorite snack. Harvest Trail Mix, anyone?
- Go horseback riding on a wooded trail.
- Cheer on your local school football team. Make sure to visit the snack bar!
- Take a hike and collect as many different leaves as you can find.
- Have a “fall colors” scavenger hunt.
- Make a scarecrow.
- Reward a day of raking leaves with a nice glass of apple cider.
- Navigate a corn maze. Bonus points for taking on a flashlight maze!
- Celebrate college game day with a neighborhood cookout.
- Have a soup potluck party.
- Go to a street fair.
- Bake a pumpkin treat – muffins, bread, cookies, pie, cake, donuts, whoopie pies!
- Throw a Halloween party. Costumes required!
- Carve pumpkins while watching It’s The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown.
- Make pumpkin pancakes for Sunday brunch.
The next three are local events, but high on my “must-do” list:
- Visit the Fall Harvest Festival at Cherry Crest Farms.
- Have an apple cider float at Landis Valley Harvest Days.
- See the spooky sights at the Lititz Halloween Parade.
How will you be celebrating the splendor of the season?