During the 2012 baseball season, Susquehanna is launching its sixth annual Strikeouts for Straight A’s educational initiative! Nine minor league baseball teams from across the region have partnered with us to promote the importance of good study habits in making a grand slam in students’ grades. Since the program’s inception, Susquehanna has raised more than $250,000 for educational programs throughout Maryland, New Jersey, Pennsylvania and West Virginia.
Here’s how it works: for every strikeout thrown by a player on one of the teams mentioned below (home games only), Susquehanna will make a $10 donation* to a specific beneficiary. All contributions will directly benefit educational programs that serve the children of that region. The beneficiaries selected for 2012 include:
- The Salvation Army of Harrisburg’s After School Program with the Harrisburg Senators
- The Boys & Girls Club of Lancaster with the Lancaster Barnstormers
- Community Alliance for Progressive Positive Action with the Williamsport Crosscutters
- The Boys & Girls Club of Allentown with the Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- The Olivet Boys & Girls Club of Reading & Berks County with the Reading Phillies
- The Boys & Girls Club of Washington County with the Hagerstown Suns
- The Crispus Attucks’ Rising STARS Program with the York Revolution
- The Boys & Girls Club of Camden County with the Camden Riversharks
- The YMCA of Centre County with the State College Spikes
Our student beneficiaries are invited to run the bases, meet the players and more at the conclusion of each team’s season to celebrate the donations. Our own Susquehanna children’s savings mascot, Buck, gets in on the action as well! We hope you can show your support of these wonderful charities and of your local minor league team by enjoying a game or two this season. Each team’s schedule is listed on its website – Batter up!
*Susquehanna will donate $10 for every strikeout (home games only) up to $5,000 per team.