Nevertheless, the period between July 3 and Aug. 15 is known as National Air Conditioning Appreciation Days. Those with air conditioning in the Mid-Atlantic were especially grateful last week with temperatures in the low 90s and high levels of humidity.
But you may want to ask yourself: Are you getting the most out of your air conditioning system? Are there ways you can save money and stay cool at the same time?
The answer is yes.
HomeAdvisor, a leading online source for connecting homeowners to prescreeen home service professionals, offers the following advice to help homeowners save money with proper air conditioning maintenance.
- Change the filter every four-six weeks. Having a dirty filter can reduce the air conditioner’s efficiency.
- Clean off the outside air compressor with water. A garden hose will do the trick.
- Keep all objects away from the compressor so that it has a free flow of air.
- Have ductwork professionally cleaned every other year to help minimize dust.
- Have the air conditioning unit inspected by an HVAC professional if it seems to be running ineffectively or inefficiently. This professional can make deft adjustments to your unit to ensure that it is in prime condition.
A new central air conditioner can last 12 – 15 years if properly maintained, according to HomeAdvisor. An annual inspection can catch things like leaks, dirty filters and worn belts — all of which can end up costing significantly more if not addressed.
What about you? Feel free to share any tips you may have for saving money with your air conditioning unit.